Emerging Composer Fellowship 2018
The Australia Ensemble aims to foster greater engagement in and recognition of composition and chamber music activities at UNSW. Support from Emeritus Professor Roger Layton AM has facilitated a UNSW composition fellowship in 2018 valued at $10,000 for one year for an Emerging Composer to write chamber music works as part of the Australia Ensemble’s outreach program for 2018.
Terms of Fellowship
The Fellowship will have a value of $10,000 for one year to be paid as a stipend and will be first awarded in 2018. The fellowship will engage a selected emerging composer to write two works across the course of a 12-month period – inclusive of one piece for a small ensemble and one piece for a large ensemble, as determined by UNSW.
The Emerging Composer will also be eligible for mentoring sessions with a Composition staff member from the UNSW School of the Arts and Media, member/s of the Australia Ensemble, and an external composition mentor. The Emerging Composer’s works will feature in at least one workshop that will be made available to current UNSW students, UNSW staff and members of the public.
Successful fellowship recipients who are interstate will be able to apply for financial support for travel and accommodation during periods of mentoring, workshops and performances of their work relating to the Fellowship.
How to Apply
The Fellowship will be appointed to a permanent resident or Australian citizen and still in an early career stage (defined as being within the first 7 years of creative practice). Each applicant will be assessed on a submitted portfolio of least three pieces (scores and audio) two of which must be purely instrumental. Please refer to the Conditions of Entry.
1. Complete the Application Form including all Applicant details.
2. Submit a portfolio of works sent with the Application form, including a CV and short biography to:Sonia Maddock
Director of Music, Art and Culture Music Performance Unit UNSW Sydney NSW 2052
OR Digital applications should be sent to: email@example.com
Applications will be accepted between Tuesday January 2, 2018 and Friday February 23, 2018.
The recipient of the Fellowship shall be decided upon by a selection panel which will be made up of persons holding the following positions, or persons who in UNSW’s opinion are their successors or hold equivalent positions or their nominee.
• Artistic Chair of Australia Ensemble, or nominee of the Australia Ensemble
• Composition staff member from the UNSW School of the Arts and Media
• Invited external chamber music expert, as appropriate
UNSW may prescribe rules for the conduct of meetings and the making of decisions by the selection panel.
The selection panel may decline to apply money if it considers that there are no candidates who are suitable or of sufficient merit.
- Submission Deadline: Friday February 23, 2018
- Please ensure you include a completed Application form with your submission
- Audio submissions may be sent via links to firstname.lastname@example.org (Dropbox, Soundcloud or similar) or in hard copy